Monday, November 28, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

 
 Wasn't it just yesterday that I told you I use cake pedestals primarily for displaying things other than CAKES?  But I came home today to find this sugar-free brownie (complete with candle!) waiting for me here to celebrate my birthday!  (Awwwww, thank you, Honey!)  Just more proof of something I've learned over the years:  The "little things" speak love just as loudly as any "big things" I can think of. 

Now, speaking of little things -- as in those fun details that so many of us enjoy when it comes to our decorating -- here are a few up-close pics of some of those little details:

 
Oldest Daughter met and married her husband in San Francisco and sent this sweet star ornament to me when they lived there.  I'm using it to top off the "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" this year.
 
 These goodies hang on the "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" that sits near the entryway from the foyer into the den.  Of course, the police car has a story behind it . . . let's just say I'm glad I'm "free" for the holidays!

 The bottom couple of shelves hold hydrangeas (love hydrangeas!) tucked into an old leather cosmetic case, old dominoes, a favorite crock, and more family photos.  Simple poinsettias snuggling into places here and there make everything immediately more festive and holiday-ready.  (Remember, I'm all about cheap, fast, and easy!) 

Obviously, I love being surrounded by pictures of the people I love!  The pic in the background is my favorite childhood pic of Oldest Daughter, and the laughing face in the ticking-striped frame is Grand-diva.  (The little antique oil lamp was my great-grandfather's.)




 I love this old framed print of Santa that I found in a thrift store a few years ago.  I have no idea how old it is, but the style has a 20s-30s look to it.  When I like something, I don't really care about its pedigree, I just care about enjoying it!

Here's another view of the den (what you'd see if you came in the back door, through the laundry room and the breakfast area).  I'm not an expert at taking pics, so forgive the glare of the lamps I left on when I was snapping away.  

I'm including this next pic 'cause I'm sooooo proud of my Baby Sister. She said she was inspired by my latest posts to hit up Goodwill on her way home today.  (She's in Virginia, but teaches in North Carolina, so this might be a NC location; if it is, then I've been to this one with her, and it IS great!  The GWs here in my part of Texas are a bit too proud of their $tuff for me.)  Anyway, this was her incredible score today:

Yes, it's a LEATHER chair!  A BASSETT LEATHER CHAIR!  In perfect, like-new condition!  (The little spot you see toward the top of the back of the chair is not a flaw -- it's the price sticker.)  Now, are you ready for the best part?  That little price sticker says "$35"!  YES!  She paid $35 for it!  And it will match the furniture she already has in her family room perfectly!  Yep, I am a proud sister tonight!  (She also got a slip-covered ottoman for $15 and some other Christmas odds and ends and household nick-knacks, but it's the chair that still just blows me away!)

Way to go, CT!










2 comments:

  1. Awwwww - I came over to say thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind words when I see its your BIRTHDAY!!! Happy, happy birthday. Can I have a small piece if cake please? :)

    Love all of your holiday touches. I also love to add simple glass balls all around for a touch of glitz. And that chair is a steal, I mean a find. What part of NC? Must not be my part cause my GW's are horrible! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and left a comment. Your Christmas decor is right up my alley! Wow, that chair your sis found at GW is awesome! BTW, I'm following you now.

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited you came to visit! I love your comments!