Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas in the dining room



This is looking into the dining room from our foyer. (Our front door is to the left of this pic, beside the plant stand. Our family room is to the right.) My table and buffet were given to me by a friend who moved into a huge new house and wanted all new furniture to go in it. (Yea for her, yea for me!) It was white, but the paint was flaking off somethin' fierce. (Not cute chippy, just flakey!) St. Michael spent part of October and November sanding it all down (including the six chairs) and completely stripping the top of the table and buffet. He then stained the tops of the table and buffet for me and then painted all of the chairs black. I painted the "body" of the buffet and the "apron" of the table white, "speckled" both pieces with black and golden khaki (to match a piece I already had) and then painted the legs of the table black and added a few black accents to the buffet. Such a difference! I love them! (And they all look great on my room-size rug that I snagged at a garage sale last summer for $50!)



A little closer still . . . Sorry for the poor quality of the photo -- I'm still working on those skills. Wish you could be here in person to see for yourself. (The closers are really much richer all the way around.)


Top of the buffet with St. Michael's mom's silver tray and an assortment of garage sale goodies. (The pear print came from Dollar Tree, and I simply put it in a big ol' frame I already had. It's perfect for this room. Love me some Dollar Tree!)


Nestled under the buffet tree is our first nativity set. We got it after Christmas more than twenty-five years ago from a Sears hardware store for $5.

A friend of mine said that judging from the size of that baby, compared to his mama, truly his birth WAS a miracle!


Reflections from the antique mirror we inherited from St. Michael's childhood best friend. (Middle Daughter from over at Sugar and Spice made the gold hanging ball out of styrofoam, beans, and gold spray paint when she was in intermediate school, and it hangs out somewhere every Christmas.)


My "hutch" used to be in my girls' rooms. The same paint treatment turns a room full of odds-and-ends furniture a sweet blended family!


A close-up of my garage-sale-, gift-, and Tuesday-morning-filled hutch. The little sign by the "clearance" rooster lamp is a recent birthday gift from my sweet sistah-friend, Bev. It reads, "Jesus * coffee * Joy" . . . how perfect is that!

Hopefully, I'll have some better pics to post next week (if I have time to practice on my photo-taking skills). Meanwhile, I hope ya'll are having fun out there in Blogland and enjoying the preparations of the season!

Happy Saturday, Sistahs!

2 comments:

  1. Metroloft offers RTA dining table and chairs in cool and modern design for your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you! You are such a great decorator!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited you came to visit! I love your comments!