Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sunday Sermon: It ain't just about the sink!

Last post, I told you I'd start telling you a little about the TEXAS TWO-STEP part of St. Michael's Wife and the TEXAS TWO-STEP. And I will. Over the next several posts. But since I started going at this kinda backwards -- beginning with that last post on filing -- I figured you wouldn't be shocked if I continue to do things a little outta order. So today, I'm just gonna give ya the most basic idea of what TWO-STEPPIN' is all about, and then I'm just gonna jump right into something we TWO-STEPPERS talked about last week when we met.


First of all, in its simplest form, St. Michael's Wife and the TEXAS TWO-STEP is a Bible study and support system for women who feel overwhelmed by the clutter and chaos at home but who've, up until now, felt helpless to do anything about it. We’re a praying, learning, trying, and doing-it group! Together we’re learnin' to Two-Step our homes, and, as a result, a huge part of our lives, back into order.

STEP 1 in the "dance" is Learning to plan for our success. (I know that sounds simple, but there's more to it than you think, so I'll explain this is more detail later this week.) And STEP 2 is Learning to celebrate our success. (Believe it or not, this is a bigger deal than you might think! So more on that this week, too.)


A huge part of our time together is spent in Bible study -- examining God's word to see how He has spoken into the lives of others and how He might be speaking to us right now in our lives. Right now, our TWO-STEP group is "dancing" through Nehemiah, one of my favorite Old Testament books. We're seeing Nehemiah's rebuilding of Jerusalem's wall as a metaphor for rebuilding our homes. Here's a tiny part of last week's look into chapter 6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Background: Nehemiah has been leading the men of Israel in rebuilding the walls of the city amidst the criticism and opposition of Israel's surrounding enemies. In chapter 6, verses 1-3, we see Nehemiah's response to those enemies who attempt to pull him away from the task he's been called to complete.]


Nehemiah 6:1-3 (English Standard Version).

1 Now when Sanballat and Tobiah and Geshem the Arab and the rest of our enemies heard that I had built the wall and that there was no breach left in it (although up to that time I had not set up the doors in the gates), 2 Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, “Come and let us meet together at Hakkephirim in the plain of Ono.” But they intended to do me harm. 3 And I sent messengers to them, saying, “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it to come down to you?”

Verse 3 is probably my favorite verse in all of Nehemiah, maybe because I am so easily distracted or perhaps because it came to me during a time in my life when I so needed the admonishment to stay focused. Nehemiah’s words spoke mightily to me during a time when I needed to be reminded by Papa-God that the season He had brought me to was truly by His design and, therefore, a time of “great work.” Regardless of what it looked like to anyone else, I was smack-dab-in-the-middle of His will and His work, and I needed to stay the course. I needed to put blinders on to anything that might pull me out of my lane and disqualify me from the race. It meant learning to say no to some of the things to which I was so used to saying yes. But I learned that sometimes I had to say no to good things in order to say yes to the best things.

I also had to learn to value my place in the garden. Wherever I was planted, I had to bloom. In the shade. In the sun. In the front. In the back. To the left. To the right. W H E R E V E R .

I had to learn to play to an audience of One. (I don’t know who originally coined that phrase, but it so resonates with me.) For one who, by nature, loves the applause of all, that’s a tough lesson. But it meant the difference between pleasing man and pleasing Papa. (And I’ve always heard that if you have to pick one, you should pick Papa ‘cause He remembers longer!)

Playing to an audience of One means learning Whose opinion really matters, Who I really want to please, Who I really want to serve . . . and it’s a lesson that I’m ashamed to say I have relearn again and again. But when I get it right . . . what a glorious performance it is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I said, that's just a tiny excerpt from our study, but maybe it will give you an idea of what we're doing . . . in between shinin' our sinks and filin' and flingin'!

To be continued . . .

Grins!

Pamm

1 comment:

  1. As always, a great post Pamm....anxious to see the work in action. :-)

    Hugs,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited you came to visit! I love your comments!