Tuesday, May 5, 2009

OMG! It's also TASTY TUESDAY!

Okay, in some parts of Blogland, it's not only Trash to Treasure Tuesday, it's Tasty Tuesday! Now being the introvert that I am (don't laugh, even I need to unplug at times), I'm not much for big soirees, but if the party's in Blogland, well, I hate to miss out! So count me in!

I discovered a fabulous recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread at Tina's Cherry Hill Cottage. (Yes, she had me at "chocolate chip"!) But since St. Michael and I are both diabetic, I decided to play with it a little bit to make it a little healthier for us. Here's the Casa St. Michael's version:

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
(Makes l full-sized loaf)
Preheat the oven to 350.

In one bowl, combine:
1/4 stick of butter, softened (to be totaly accurate, when I first made this, I put in the originally called for 1/2 stick of butter in the microwave to soften it, and I totally forgot about it and NEVER did add it in, and my bread was still FANTASTIC. Still, next time I make some, I am going to put in this little bit of butter.)
2 eggs
2 or 3 very ripe bananas
1/3 cup Splenda
1/3 cup of Splenda Brown Sugar Mix
Use a fork, to squish the bananas and mix them up with the other ingredients. It is alright for there to be small chunks of banana in the batter, but you want most of the bananas to be reduced to mush.
In another bowl, combine:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until the ingredients are blended together.
(And now here's the best part!) Stir in 1/2 cup of chopped pecans (or walnuts) and 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. (Okay, there IS a limit to how healthy I can stand to be). Pour the dough into a greased baking pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 - 60 minutes.
It was FABULOUS!
(Be sure to check out the original recipe at http://cherryhillcottage.typepad.com/cherryhill_cottage . And while you're there, don't miss the pics of Cherry Hill Cottage -- it is to die for!)

Now go check in with Jen of Balancing Beauty and Bedlam at http://inpassionatepursuit.blogspot.com/, and read her ideas for bringing not only yummy food to the table but some declicious atmosphere, as well!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so excited you came to visit! I love your comments!