Thursday, May 14, 2009

Look at this beauty!


(Isn't this gorgeous! I soooooo heart this most recent garage sale acquisition!)

I recently bought a great 10-armed brass chandy off Craigslist. It was advertised with ten smooth (ah, so easy to dust!) black silk shades, which was just what I wanted. When I arrived to pick it up, it had ten red silk pleated shades . . . pleated . . . (Ugh, I've told ya'll that I'm not the greatest housekeeper. Do you know the extra effort required to get the dust out of all those little pleats?) Still, the chandy was a bargain so I took it and tried painting the shades black. Hmmm, still don't think I like them, but I am now working on a dress-them-up solution involving -- are you ready? -- toilet paper rolls! If it turns out as cute as I think it will, I'll feature it on my blog later this week! (And all because Nester says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!" Nestor, you free me up and inspire me to take those chances!)

Meanwhile . . . Thursday afternoon on my way home from the School House, I spotted a garage sale notice for a neighbor whose house always looks so cottagey-cute. Hmmmmm . . . now that, I figured, would be worth leaving Casa St. Michael's a few minutes early Friday morning!


Sure enough, the first thing I spotted in her driveway were these beautiful glass somethings. (I didn't even know what they were, but I liked 'em!) Turns out that the three white and green glass thingies with handpainted flowers on them were part of an old light fixture. (Looks like something from the forties or fifties to me, but I don't know. Does anyone out there have an idea?) The home owner's father pointed out the metal "framework" for the fixture, and for $15 I snapped up the whole thing, even though I had no idea what the all-put-together end product would look like. (I figured if it didn't work or looked really goofy, I could at least do something with that gorgeous, handpainted glass.)

(My boxed up treasure!)

(Here's the metal part prior to gussy-ing it up with some glossy black spray paint and a cord cozy.)
Since the garage sale hostess remembered me from a couple of college classes we had taken together (She was young at the time, and I was a L.O.L.I.T.A. -- Large Older Lady On Transition Again), she agreed to hold my goodies for me until I could return with cash during my afternoon conference period.
Imagine my surprise when I got home with my boxed treasures later and discovered MORE handpainted glass in the form of more pieces to the chandy!


I decided to paint the metal part of the chandy a glossy black, and since I'm working at going RED at Casa St. Michael, I turned the orange flowers into red blossoms. (A little craft paint works wonders, don'cha know.) I even made my very first cord cozy from some tiny red check fabric that I also used to cover the old chair cushions in my breakfast room. Voila! A fabulous, "new" one-of-a-kind light fixture!

(The pics don't do this baby justice!)

(Look at that metal work! .)

(The rest of the pic isn't very good, but you can see the metal work even better with the lights on.)

For more great re-dos, go see Susan at
Between Naps on the Porch
where she's hosting "Metamorphosis Monday."
Then mosey on over to Southern Hospitality
to check out more of
"Today's Thrifty Treasures."
Have fun!
























1 comment:

I'm so excited you came to visit! I love your comments!