Tuesday, April 14, 2009

To Be? Not!

Well, a "new" sofa is not to be at Casa St. Michael, and let me say right off the bat that it's not because St. Michael wasn't willing.   I had convinced him that I'd be able to move out the necessary items to welcome in the couch.

Monday evening, after letting traffic die down, St. Michael loaded me and my crutches into his beloved silver pick-up truck (I'm still crippled, remember), and we headed across town -- way across town -- to check out the $30 sofa that had the potential to be the bargain of the year.  

To make a long story short, it wasn't.

In fact, I have to laugh at myself to keep from crying.  The sofa did not look anything like it did in the picture.  (Gee, has anyone else had that experience?)  It was not well-made at all, and the fabric was very cheap.  Even the in-person colors differed from the photo.  I knew right away that this was not a piece of furniture that was going home with me, even after the sweet owner, Marilu, offered to GIVE me the couch if St. Michael and I would just take it off her hands!  (That I came home without it speaks volumes about the sofa to those of you who know that I never turn down ANYTHING that's free!)  

BUT, I must say that as we were driving home, I began to feel all kinds of warm fuzzies going on in my tummy.  Warm fuzzies that were crowding out even my pangs of disappointment (after all, I already had our family room completely redecorated in my mind, so we ARE talking some let-down here).  I know it sounds corny, but I became overwhelmed thinking about the lengths that sweet, finest-bald-headed man-you've-ever-seen will go to to show me how much he loves me, even hauling me all over the Houston countryside to look at furniture he didn't want to begin with!   (He never ceases to amaze me, and I am a blessed-beyond-measure woman.) 

Maybe I will save my pennies to have a slipcover made for our current couch (which is really a fabulous couch, as far as bones go) or I'll keep looking to Craigslist for another bargain!  (LOL!  Hope springs eternal!)  For now, I will be content and rework or work with what I have.  
 

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm learnin' some cool stuff and can shop my own home and feel excited about it! I had no idea there were so many people that think just like me and decorate and shop the same too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was sweet of your husband but such a bummer that the sofa wasn't good.

    Thanks for commenting on my teapot. :) Sorry yours lost the top!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited you came to visit! I love your comments!