Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fabulous Frugal Friday Finds! (Well, Kinda)



(An assortment of Value Village goodies waiting to be poofed, prettied, and then placed in their new home.)

It's late, and I have to get up at the crack of dawn and head off to the School House after being gone for almost eight weeks with my broken ankle, BUT I wanted to post something because I'm behind on my blogging!

The picture above shows some goodies I picked over two months ago (just before the EMTs had to pick me up off the floor at Casa St. Michael).  They've been waiting for me in my garage, but during my "recovery" period (remember the "sit and sit and sit some more"?), I forgot about them.  During one particular antsy day last week, I hobbled out to the garage and drug them into the house.  I NEEDED to do something creative!  (The absolute best stress-buster I know!) 

The custom framed and matted picture is an old advertisement (copyright February 19, 1906) for Columbia Coffee and Syrup Company.  I had grabbed it up because my laundry room and its adjoining powder room are decorated in a coffee theme (I know it sounds kind of goofy, but I love it, and it works for me -- more about that later!).  I figured this would look great in one of those spots.  (Plus I loved the soft, antique-y looking colors in the print.)  I think it was marked around $3, but then pictures were half-price that day, so I paid about $1.50 for it.  


(I filled an old jar with a cinnamon potpourri mixture that has miniature cinnamon gingerbread-shaped men and little hearts mixed in with the leaves, tiny pine cones and other yummy-smelling stuff.  I then attached an old heart-shaped cookie cutter and one of those little gingerbread guys to the outside of the jar and popped it into the wire jar holder.)


There's a picture/plate holder in the pic that I grabbed up for about $ .70 and an old wire jar holder with a wooden handle on it (probably not an antique, just one of those old-looking country thingies) that was about the same price.  The old framed peach preserves recipe picture was $ .80 (and then marked half of that!).  A small framed square just out of view holds a small vintage cross-stitching of some blue flowers (I can never pass up an old cross-stitching).  And last but not least, I found a darling little silver frame (for half of the $1.09 marked on the glass) that will look great with . . . well, I'll tell you later!  In fact, I'll show you later in the week what I ended up doing with each of these treasures!  Suffice it to say, that I had a wonderfully de-stressing day playing with my new treasures!

If you think this is a great haul, you should see the treasures I scored last Friday afternoon!  I warned St. Michael on the way to see the Ortho Guy that if my cast came off and I was "released," I was going to go home, jump in my car, and not go home until evening time!  And that's just about what I did!  Fabulous!  Fabulous!  Fabulous!  I "treasured" to my heart's content all afternoon at the fabric store, two garage sales, and one resale shop . . . ahhhhh!  It's so good to be on my feet again!  Speaking of which, I need to shut it down, go to bed, and sleep fast!  Monday is a'comin'!

Have a wonderful week, my nesting sistas!

St Michael's Wife

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I'm glad you are footloose again!! LOVE, love, love the treasures from VV and can't wait to see the reveals! The syrup ad looks awesome...promise me you'll post your mudroom/potty-coffee oasis for all to see!!xox! Denise Marie :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YESSSSSSSSSS! Bless your heart......nothing like hitting the road after a long "dry spell".. :0 Glad you enjoyed yourself and there were some treasures waiting for you out there in thrifty land. There's just nothing like zippy around on your own.

    I can't thank you enough for caring about my girl. She's so much better today. Lots more "with the program"......those drugs'll really do a girl in! She was sort of dopey...don't tell her I said that. It's been busy here caring for her and my grandson, but I'm happy to do it. My Mum did it for me too. God is sooooo good. I love it that He's always there and cares about us.

    Hugs and blessings!
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited you came to visit! I love your comments!